As you are aware the Wine Country Fires are still burning and over 57,000 acres and 1,500 structures have been destroyed, including the homes of some of our family and close friends. We want to show our support and do everything we can to help them in this devastating time. Your support is greatly appreciated and will help ease the despair felt by those who have lost their homes and physical possessions.
Right now we’ve been told they need donations. We of course will take anything gently used or new you have to offer, but below are the items in high demand…
Items in high demand:
- Clothing – All types of women’s, children’s, men’s including undergarments as well
- Shoes and Socks – All sizes
- Small Portable Toys – i.e. small LEGO sets, playing cards, matchbox cars, coloring books with crayons, small games, etc.
- Stuffed Animals
- Blankets & Pillows
- Misc. Linens – towels, sheets, pillow cases, sleeping bags, etc.
- Toiletries – toothbrushes, toothpaste, feminine hygiene products, diapers, wipes, etc.
- Tech Items – iphone or android cell phone chargers
- Brown Grocery Bags
- Gallon Ziploc Bags
When donating please organize the items in brown grocery bags labeled with gender and size and/or “toys & books” etc. This will help us sort through the items quickly and be able to disperse them in an efficient manner.
If interested in donating please direct message us here, on Facebook, on Instagram or via email email@example.com we will happily come and pick up your donations for you.
If you are interested in making an online monetary donation, please donate to the American Red Cross “Home Fires” or to donate by phone please contact 1-800-HELP-NOW (1-800-435-7669).
Thank you and please spread the word!
Focusing on and mindfully practicing kindness is a funny thing. A lot of things come up when you try to put other people first while still managing a family, working, living a life and trying to care for yourself.
Mostly what comes up is guilt. “I should be doing more; there is so much tradegy in the world and I feel so small and unessecary; Can I really help anyone with all this; Why do I get to live a life of privilege while others do not”… the thoughts go on and on.
As you can see we have been quiet around here and let’s just say, we’ve felt a lot of guilt about that. Guilt that we are letting people down, looking unprofessional, being selfish for putting our lives first and not the lives of others and guilt that we are both two imperfect souls who struggle with consistancy. When you feel this way, it gets harder and harder to pick up where you left off, so you keep putting it off and thus the guilt cycle begins again.
I could go on and on with excuses of why we have been silent for so long, but I don’t need to.
I don’t need to because we are practicing kindness with ourselves, which is one of the hardest practices of all.
I don’t need to because it doesn’t matter. What matters is that we pick up where we left off and keep shoving kindness into this imperfect world when we can. So let’s begin shall we…
Photo Credit: @freelancewisdom
Literacy and instilling a love of reading is so important in the lives of our youth. Books teach us, take us away from the mundane and connect us to a world much bigger than ourselves. Reading is a large part of our families lives and we want to help spread the gift of books to others.
MONTHLY MISSION OUTLINE
This month’s mission is a little different than our past missions. We do not have a particular focus group, but rather a target action……spread literacy. Our goal is to collect books in good condition. They can be kids books, board books, picture books, novels, anthologies…..really, any books! We will sort them and donate them to different organizations who will find them as wonderful as the original owners.
- Collect books…glorious books…books of all types from now until June 4th, 2017
- Ask friends and families.
- Come to Our book sorting party….June 4th at 10 am.
- Drop off all your collected items. // You can drop off your books at The Finding Kindness Project drop-off location: 14685 Oka Road, Los Gatos, CA 95032 OR email us for pick-up. We are happy to come get your books for you and drop them off as well. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BUILDING A KINDNESS COOPERATIVE
Examples of how Rachel & Sue will be putting this Monthly Mission into action:
- Cleaning out our family book shelves.
- Tell family and friends…Ask them to go through their books as well.
- Purchase your favorite book to donate
- Take a peek at our socials throughout the month to see what else we are doing to participate in raising a Kind generation. Use our hashtag, #kindcooperative, to follow along AND tag us so we can see how you are making the world a little more kind.
If you have ideas of organizations or charities that would love book donations….please message us your ideas. Your ideas are valuable to the kindness cooperative’s missions.
Thank you and stay tuned for our next mission.
Today, Friday, March 3rd is National Day of Unplugging and personally, it has come at the perfect time.
I have been overindulging in social media, ignoring my new stack of books I so eagerly want to read and pretending I don’t see my poor little puppy sadly begging for a walk. So today I am excited to be motivated to unplug and be a good example to my children and show them the importance of unplugging and recharging once in a while.
You can download your own “Commit to Unplugging” sign HERE.
So Happy Day of Unplugging! Next week, we would love to see how you and your family unplugged so tag us on IG with #kindcooperative