SECOND HARVEST FOOD BANK
The face of hunger is all around us, and it is hard to see, especially in affluent areas like Silicon Valley where we live. Millions of Americans don’t know where their next meal is coming from and the fight to end hunger is a long, ongoing, uphill battle.
These are just a few of the many reasons we chose November’s Mission to be focused on “Fighting Hunger” however we can and we chose to work with and support the Second Harvest Food Bank. Take a look at what we will be doing this month and join along however you can. Last year we collected 326 pounds of food and we would love to beat that this year!
Based in Silicon Valley, the Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties is one of the largest food banks in the nation. Currently providing food to more than one-quarter of a million people every month, Second Harvest is a trusted community-based organization that was founded in 1974.
Despite the immense wealth in Silicon Valley, and partly due to the high cost of living, hunger and malnutrition are pervasive. The Food Bank distributes nutritious food, including more fresh produce than any other food bank in the country, through a network of over 320 nonprofit partners at more than 850 sites. Partner agencies include shelters, pantries, soup kitchens, children’s programs, senior meal sites, and residential programs.
In fiscal year 2017 (July 2016 – June 2017), Second Harvest distributed more than one million pounds of nutritious food each week to low-income people in need in every zip code of our service area from South San Francisco to Gilroy, and from the ocean to the bay.
MONTHLY MISSION OUTLINE
- Collect canned goods. // Most needed items: Meals in a can (soup, stew, chili), Tuna or canned chicken, Peanut butter, Canned foods with pop-top lids, Canned fruit in its own juice or water, Low-sodium canned vegetables, Olive or canola oil, Spices, Low-sugar whole grain cereals, Healthy snacks (granola bars, nuts, dried fruit). Please avoid donating items packaged in glass. If you find glass items in your barrel, please package them in a box outside of your food collection barrel to prevent breakage.
- Drop off all your collected canned goods. // You can drop off your donation items at The Finding Kindness Project drop-off location: 14685 Oka Road, Los Gatos, CA 95032 OR email us for pick-up. We are happy to come get your donation items for you and drop them off as well. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
BUILDING A KINDNESS COOPERATIVE
Examples of how Rachel & Sue will be putting this Monthly Mission into action:
- If you are local, join us for the group shopping trip at Grocery Outlet afterschool on Wednesday, November 29th at 1:45. This is a great way for the kids to get hands-on picking out foods, reading labels and handling money. (see here for details).
- Taking a wagon around our neighborhoods with our kids after school collecting from neighbors.
- Reaching out to our immediate social circles; i.e. Girl Scout Troop, Gymnastics Gym, School Board, Hockey Team and Book Club
- Take a peek at our socials throughout the month to see what else we are doing to participate in raising a Kind generation. Use our hashtag, #kindcooperative, to follow along AND tag us so we can see how you are making the world a little more kind.
If you would like to make a tax-deductible donation instead you can do so HERE. Want to know where your money is going? Here is some fiscal information about the Second Harvest Food Bank for your review:
Throughout the fiscal year, volunteers contributed over 310,000 hours of service, which saved them $6.6 million in equivalent personnel costs.
Below are some figures from their 2014-2015 annual report.
- 96 % of operating expenses go to food distributions and programs
- 2% to fundraising
- 2% go to management
- 60% of Operating Revenue comes straight from individuals like you and me.
If you would like to check out their 2015-2016 annual report in its entirety check out it HERE.
Thank you and see you next month for our next Monthly Mission:
The New and Gently Used Toy Drive!